Saturday, July 19, 2008

Hope

Blogging has been the furthest thing from my mind currently possibly because I have a million other things to worry about or is it possibly because I just dont have anything to say or to share? The latter is standing out currently as the former could merely be a poorly conceived excuse as it is very easy to say "I just dont have the time" when you really do have the time but not the inclination to make time. What was this blog post about ? or yes "Hope" (lets hope I get to the point)

I thought I would share with you something I witnessed during this past week where my belief in Hope was severely tested. The words of eomer from the Lord of the Rings ran through my head like a child who has just learnt to run zig zags from here to there constantly running just for the sake of it.

"Dont not Trust in a hope for it is forbidden in these land"

Now this may not be exactly what he said and Lord of the rings bofs are more than obliged to correct me and criticize my poor rendition of tolkiens masterpiece but this thought was a recurring thought for me. For numerous reasons things just seemed to be going wrong and my grasp on the concept of hope hung by a fine fibre. Oh yes the incident.

It was about 5pm on thurday afternoon I came home after campus and the only thing I wanted to do was space out and go to bed. This ofcourse didnt happen and I was flung against my will back into my car as my driver duties were reactivated. As some of you know Church street in mayfair can be an absolute nightmare at around 5 and this day was no different. I stopped at a robot and noticed a blind white women with a dog waiting to cross the road. The dog seemed agitated and scared (possibly due to the traffic and the noise) and it refused to budge. The women seemed reserve to wait and I felt sorry for her making shukr (thanks to GOD) that even though my eyesight is poor i can still see. A little time passed and this black man walked pass the blind women. He was dressed in blue paint smeared overalls and was clearly on his way to get a taxi to go home. Now He was walking the opposite direction to the blind women and gave her a quick stare and carried on (as most of us would do). I watched this scene and to my amazement the black man stopped dead in his tracks and walked up the the blind women. He said something to her and gently grabbed the leash of her dog and took her hand in his and he guided her across the road.

I couldnt help it and a tear dropped from my eye at this remarkable sight. Two individuals divided by oolour, creed, and even the ability to see managed to help each other. Somehow my despondent feelings vanished and I was filled with hope. This remarkable scene (well for me anyways) showed me that no matter how hopeless a situation can be there is always hope no matter how slim. What were the odds that a man out of nowhere would help this blind women who is basically defenseless.

If we just take the time to look closer at the events and happenings going on around us we will realize that there is hope all around us and that there is always help.

It's the small things that open your eyes
The Lone Writer

7 comments:

M Junaid said...

"Do not trust to hope. It has forsaken these lands"

ive been having these internal struggles frequently this week and I do want to articulate a blog on whats going in my mind. Theres always hope.

now post more frequently!

Anonymous said...

You seem like an interesting person. And with a name like The Lone Writer, you have to be interested in what else but writing.

This has nothing to do with hope or this post, but I was looking up a friend's pen name that she uses on ficlets.com(It's a writer's website, you might want to check it out, it's fiction, I don't know if you'd be interested... good reads, if short is okay with you.) and came across this...

Once again, you seem interesting. That's all I have to say about that.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my... That was NOT supposed to sound spammer-ish! Now the chances of a new ficleteer are slim to none because of my stupid wording!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm the Lone Writer that Mask By The Moon was talking about, I found your blog post interesting and inspiring. I'm glad that my fellow writers are noticing the wonderful people in this world! Also, in case you like reading maybe you'll check out some of my stories?
-The Other Lone Writer

Zahera said...

Lovely post and very touching! Your such a sensitive soul Karoles :-P lol- i mean that in a good way.

What is scary though, is the fact that so many of us would not think twice about stopping and giving 2 minutes of our time to this blind lady. Maybe its not scary.. maybe its just.. sad.

Khadija said...

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all,
And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me."

Emily Dickenson

Chin up, there's always hope!

Mohamed Karolia said...

mj: Thanks for the correction and ill definately try post more frequently.

mask by the moon: Thanks for the visit and thanks for letting me know about ficlets, ill definately check it out.

The other lone writer: Thanks for visiting my blog. I checked out some of your stuff and its good. Ill join up soon also :)

zahera: Thanks for the compliment zahera lol and its very sad that we cant think about helping other people instead of merely being individualistic

khatija: That was beautiful thanks. My chin will try not to fall :)